Measure Force with FlexiForce™ Force Sensors
FlexiForce™ force sensors can measure force between almost any two surfaces and are durable enough to stand up to most environments. Our sensors are available off-the-shelf for prototyping or can be customized to meet the specific needs of your product design and application requirements.
FlexiForce sensors are utilized in many applications to detect and measure:
- Relative change in force or applied load
- Rate of change in force
- Force thresholds and trigger appropriate action
- Contact and/or touch
How does the force sensor work?
The FlexiForce sensor acts as a force sensing resistor in an electrical circuit. When the force sensor is unloaded, its resistance is very high. When a force is applied to the sensor, this resistance decreases. The resistance can be measured by a multimeter, then applying a force to the sensing area.
Why are FlexiForce sensors unique?
The unique construction of FlexiForce sensors brings the following advantages to your product design:
- thinness [0.008 in. (.203 mm)]
- better linearity than other force-sensitive resistors
- measurement of higher loads than other force-sensitive resistors
- stable output with respect to load area
Custom Force Sensors
The unique construction and ink characteristics of FlexiForce sensors enable Tekscan to create custom-designed force sensing resistor sensors to meet your specific OEM needs.
FlexiForce sensors are ideal for OEM products due to our ability to customize:
- Geometry - sensors can be designed in a variety of shapes and sizes to meet your application and product needs.
- Ink technology - we offer three pressure-sensitive ink variations to meet your application and product needs: standard, enhanced, and high temperature.
- Integration support - our team of mechanical, electrical, and application engineers are here to ensure a successful product integration. They have compiled some sensor integration resources to get you started.
Learn more about customizing FlexiForce sensors.
Why Do Engineers Choose FlexiForce?
Custom Force Sensors
The unique construction and ink characteristics of FlexiForce™ sensors enable Tekscan to create custom-designed force sensors to meet your specific needs. Are you looking to integrate a force sensor into your application?
Let's discuss! Consult an Engineer
FlexiForce™ Standard Sensors
FlexiForce force sensors can measure force between almost any two surfaces and are durable enough to stand up to most environments. Our sensors are available off-the-shelf for prototyping or can be customized to meet the specific needs of your product design and application requirements.
For a full view and comparison of sensor products, please visit our Force Sensor Product Table.
Prototyping and Embedding Electronics
FlexiForce sensors are designed for use with your own electronics, multimeters, the OEM Development Kit, or our Quickstart Board. The OEM Development Kit and FlexiForce Quickstart Board both provide a constant voltage supply (which is recommended for FlexiForce sensors) and provide linear data, making it easier to calibrate your sensor. Which tool is best for you?
Our accessories offer you further options for our standard force sensors. Whether you are looking to extend the sensor length or have trimmed your sensor and need a new connector, we have what you need.