Thin and Flexible Strain Gauge Alternative
Strain gauges and FlexiForce® sensors are resistance based technologies available in a variety of shapes and sizes. FlexiForce sensors provide a flexible, paper-thin solution at only 0.008" (0.2mm) thick.
Advantages of Using a FlexiForce Sensor vs. a Strain Gauge
- Direct force measurement - measures load directly as opposed to correlating strain of an assembly with load.
- Larger dynamic range (resistance range from MΩ to KΩ).
- Simpler Electronics - simply measured with multimeter or integrated with inexpensive circuitry.
- Lower cost - standard sensors start at $65 for a 4-pack.
- Easier to integrate - simple mounting process.
Strain Gauge and Force Sensor Applications
- Force sensitive buttons for consumer electronics
- In-Shoe applications
- Joint force measurement (Example: Measuring forces on the knee, shoulder, hip, etc.)
- Massage/palpation force quantification
- Low cost inventory management (Example: Measuring approximately how many parts are left in a bin? Is it full? Half full? Empty?)