Therapeutic Force-Feedback Device Design
One company was developing a small force-sensitive physical therapy device aimed at tracking a patient's recovery progress after a specific medical event. Their mission was to empower patients on their journey to recovery by providing an innovative, user-friendly solution to enhance the rehabilitation process.
The company selected Tekscan as their partner for designing a FlexiForce™ sensor into the compact, user-friendly device to assist both patients and physical therapists in monitoring and optimizing the rehabilitation process. The device included gamification features to keep patients engaged and motivated – it challenged them to apply varying levels of force in different sequences, and the sensor was able to provide real-time feedback to the patient on their progress.
The combination of thin and flexible force sensors and artificial intelligence affords a single device the capability to provide real-time feedback and track the patient's strength and flexibility during sessions.
A design engineering contact representing the company explained, “In questioning different sensor manufacturers, we liked the availability of different sizes and force ranges of off-the-shelf sensors because we could easily purchase a few and then build test samples to see if a system would work. We also liked knowing that if we needed to make design changes, the manufacturer could accommodate us by modifying or customizing the sensor. It turned out that Tekscan actually had a small enough off-the-shelf version that we were able to design into our final design, which saved us a lot of time, money, and resources.”
Benefits of Force Sensors in Your Physical Therapy Device
- Superior linearity & accuracy (±3%)
- Expert technical guidance in custom solutions
- Wider range of forces
- Sensor output is not a function of loading area
- Ultra-thin sensor construction and flexibility means minimal interference/disturbance to normal action
- Accurate response gives your customers and end users confidence in the performance of your product
- Knowledgeable, experienced technical staff help you develop the most effective, economical sensor based on your specific requirements. All manufacturing takes place at ISO 9001 compliant & 13485 registered Tekscan headquarters.
- 100% factory inspection ensures your sensors meet established performance specifications
Getting Started with FlexiForce™ Sensors
FlexiForce™ sensors are available off-the-shelf in packs of four or eight for testing and prototyping. Visit our online store to place an order, or contact us to discuss customization options with one of our engineers.