What is Tek WiFi (Wireless Capability)?
Question: What is Tek WiFi?
Answer: Tek WiFi (Wireless Capability) allows connection of a Handle/Sensor to a PDA (that is, a Pocket PC) and communicate through a wireless connection to the PC running the Tekscan software. This allows you considerable flexibility when performing your measurements. You can work untethered; placing the sensor in hard-to-reach areas, thereby giving you maximum mobility.
Tek WiFi (Wireless Capability) is an optional feature that can be purchased with Tekscan systems using USB or Evolution electronics. If you currently have a Tekscan system and are interested in adding this capability, please contact Tekscan for more information on upgrading.
In order to add wireless capability to your system, you must first make sure your hardware meets the requirements below. Once this is done, you need to set up the network configuration. After that, you can use your Pocket PC to transmit remote pressure data. The data is simultaneously transmitted to a PC in another location. From there, you can display, record, and analyze the pressure information.
The following are the hardware requirements for setting up wireless capability at your location:
- PC or Laptop running Windows 2000 or XP and a copy of the Tekscan Pressure Measurement software.
- 802.11b/g Wireless Capability for the Client PC or Laptop (either through a built-in wireless card, PCI/PCMCIA card, or equivalent wireless USB device).
- Wireless Router (Recommended for an “Access Point” network configuration).
Note: If you are running Windows 2000, you will need to check with the vendor to be sure that your version of Windows 2000 supports Wireless connections.
Configuring the Wireless Network
There are 2 alternative wireless network configurations for Tek WiFi: an Access Point network or a Computer to Computer (Ad-Hoc) network.
- Creating an Access Point network between one or more Pocket PCs and the PC running the Tekscan software (requires a Wireless Router).
Note: Creating an Access Point network is the recommended method for establishing a network.
- Creating a Computer to Computer (Ad-Hoc) network between the Pocket PC and the PC running the client software. The configuration will be different, depending on which operating system is used.
Note: Currently, Tekscan only supports the "Dell Inspiron 6400" laptop computer for use with a Computer to Computer (Ad-Hoc) network configuration. Tests have shown that the wireless connection can be unstable when this configuration is used with other computer models. Refer to the “Configuring the Wireless Network” section in the application's Help file for more information.
Revision Date: 03/13/2007
Did this Article Solve your Issue?
If you did not find a complete solution to your problem, please let us know by filling out the following form or calling us directly.
Tekscan Technical Support Hours
Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 7:00pm EST, Excluding Holidays
Call (800) 248-3669 x359 Toll Free within the US and Canada.
Call 1(617) 464-4500 x359 International
Call 1(617) 464-4266 International
We respond promptly to customer problems, and new support articles are created from your input.
* - The software serial number can be found in the Help drop down menu of the program. Navigate to Help -> About.
** - The hardware serial number can be found on the back of each Handle/Cuff/Hub preceded by S/N.